Sunday, September 23, 2012

Of "Clippers" & Columbus

The word clipper ship has somehow come to be synonymous sailing ship. I've
noted this for a couple of decades now. It does not matter whether it is a
schooner or galleon or whaler or, yes, clipper, they are, in the minds of
many, clipper ships. I can't help but wonder if at some future epoch large
portions of the populace refer to all of our automobiles as Fords or
Chevrolets.
-
It has been a while since I've followed up on the status of the replicas
built for the 500th anniversary of Columbus' voyage of discovery.
Currently, I am aware that the "Santa Clara" or "Nina II", an unofficial
replica but probably the most realistic, has a sister in a "Pinta"
replica. Both vessels are doing fine.
The official replicas, however, were not, the last time checked. The
official Nina was last seen rotting in the waters off of Texas, whereas
the Santa Maria has been brought ashore entirely, no longer seaworthy.
I've lost track of the Pinta.
That this has been allowed to happen at all reflects poorly upon us. That
I have failed to keep track as well reflects poorly upon me.

(Sent via handheld)
Edit - As I mentioned, it had been some time since I last checked on the status of the replicas, and that piece was written whilst I sat on the back porch. A search, a short time later, revealed this; all three ships are being restored, and the Pinta, like the Santa Maria, is now ashore. For more -

Columbus Replica Ships to Visit Corpus Christi in March

No comments:

Post a Comment