Saturday, January 6, 2018

The HMT Chinook, A Freelance Admiralty Trawler In 1/240 Scale

From a simple wooden kit, this armed trawler emerged.

When I began my slow creep back into model warships, and trying to decide on interesting subjects, I rediscovered the Royal Navy Admiralty trawlers. These ships were built in scores during both World Wars, and were based upon readily available designs already being produced at smaller shipyards. This allowed for rapid construction, and many were built. 
Initially, I thought about using one of the commercially available plastic kits, but soon put the idea aside. 
A couple of months back, I picked up a very inexpensive wooden model (toy, really) tugboat. As a tug, its shape wasn't terrible, though most of the parts were very simple, and dare I say, crude. Still, I felt that there was potential here. 
When I did decide to begin construction, however, my mind wondered back to the Admiralty trawlers. 
As a result, I decided that I would build this model up as a test bed. In shape and proportion, it is simply wrong as an armed trawler, possessing too much beam. However, in profile, it looked pleasing enough above the waterline that I decided to proceed. 
In the end, the resulting model borrows heavily from the Fish-class trawlers that the Royal Navy used during the Second World War, and scales out to roughly 1/240 scale. It is painted in Western Approaches camouflage. The model allowed me to rebuild some of my skills and, more to the point, regain my confidence. 
It is still a bit rough, mind you. The sides are very thick, there is no screw nor rudder, it still needs to be sealed, and the motor mount attached. But it does appear as though it is ready to patrol the local ponds and pools in pursuit of the dreaded U-boat menace. 










No comments:

Post a Comment